Saturday, June 28, 2014

#107: TKO Super Championship Boxing

TKO!
Well, I sure know what I'm getting into from the title of this game. Some sort of boxing game. Punch some dudes, knock them out. Maybe only technically knock them out, but knock them out regardless.

Licensee name on the corners? Tacky!
TKO turns out to be a game where you can move around in a 2 dimensional ring and where you have a limited amount of stamina to use on punching before you need to stop punching. There are different kinds of punches (jabs, hooks, etc...) and different ways to dodge a punch. Unfortunately the controls are garbage and I could never figure out how to dodge at all, let alone how to choose which dodge to use. The AI could dodge though, so as soon as I got past the first couple fights and they started dodging I was screwed.
I feel like laying down some tar...
The 2 dimensional aspect had the same 'problem' as Double Dragon did, which was the AI wasn't very good at working out how to attack someone not on the same plane as them. So it was pretty easy to strafe up and down in order to attack when I had full stamina and flee when I wanted to regenerate. It worked like a charm until the AI learned to block and then I was in trouble.

The game had a neat leveling system where after each win I'd get to pick one of five ways to train which would raise a stat and make me better at something. I like this idea a lot. If only it wasn't in a game that was pretty bad otherwise...

Rating: D

No comments:

Post a Comment