Saturday, May 31, 2014

#103: Space Megaforce

By Toho!
I didn't know what this game was going to be, but I had a pretty good idea it was going to be a scrolling shooter of some kind from the name. Speaking of the name, when I saw what game was coming up I instinctively said 'SPACE MEGA-FORCE' out loud. And then the game itself did the same thing in a clear voice. It was a little trippy, and a little awesome. I already like this game!

So many powerups!
This game is, in fact, a scrolling shooter. One with at least 8 different power-ups you can collect. There's a 1 and a 4 on the screen in the screenshot above. It didn't seem like there was a way to switch between them other than collecting a different one again later, but each time you picked a given number up that attack got stronger. So it seemed like just picking everything up to see how they were leveling up was a perfectly valid thing to do. I ended up liking missiles best.

*sad trombone*
Unfortunately this game suffers from the same problem as pretty much every scrolling shooter. If you ever die you lose all your power-ups and respawn in a part of the game designed for having lots of power. I made it all the way to the first boss without dying, but then he killed me. And I couldn't get more than a couple screens forward from the checkpoint after that because I was shooting 2 bullets instead of 6 and 6 missiles.

That said this game didn't seem to suffer from sprite slowdown. It seemed to have a decent selection of power-ups. I think it could be really fun if a scrolling shooter is what you want to play. I didn't want to play a scrolling shooter so I didn't have a ton of fun, but I can't blame the game for that.

Rating: B

No comments:

Post a Comment