Saturday, May 17, 2014

#101: Race Drivin'

Nice vanity plate.
Race Drivin' may actually be the worst SNES game I've played. There have been some really smelly ones so far in this little adventure of mine, but this one may just take the cake.

I drove into the road.
I don't know what the point of the game is. I guess there's a score meter up at the top so probably I'm just driving around trying to get a good score? I don't know. On the plus side the game only gives you enough gas to drive for 65 seconds at which point you game over so the misery doesn't last long.

KABOOM!
I appear to be driving a regular car on a stunt track. I went off a ramp and then exploded when I landed. Maybe there's a way to actually land the jump? I suspect it involves going slower so I land on the down ramp on the other side instead of flying over it.

The music is _terrible_. The sound is abysmally bad. And not bad in the sense that the emulator is screwing it up like what happened with some other games. No, I'm pretty sure this is how the game was supposed to sound. It reminded me of Pole Position on the C64, though at least in that game I knew what my goal was.

Apparently it's a port from an arcade game. Race Drivin' was ported to a bunch of systems and apparently was terrible on all of them because the system hardware couldn't handle what they were trying to do. Now, I don't think I'd like the game even if the SNES could have handled it. But it couldn't, which just makes it all the worse. You suck, THQ.

Rating: F-

No comments:

Post a Comment