Saturday, April 19, 2014

#97: King of the Monsters

Godzilla?
I recognized the name King of the Monsters from when I was a kid but I couldn't remember much about it. I thought it was going to be a Rampage style game where you were beating up a city with an enemy monster. In a sense that's exactly what you do; the game is a wrestling game between two giant monsters that takes place in the 'ring' of a city in Japan. It turns out delivering a piledriver to Godzilla does a far amount of collateral damage to the city at large!

YES!!!!!!!
King of the Monsters is immediately amazing for this mode selection screen. The window at the top cycles through a list explaining what all of the buttons do! Absolutely nothing beats this as an introduction to a game. Tell me what the buttons do so I know what my options are! I guarantee I never would have known how to use the beam special attack if they didn't tell me right away. (The beam attack seemed abysmally bad so my fights would have gone better without trying to use it but the point still stands.)
German Suplex? On it!
As far as wrestling games go this actually seemed pretty good. The controls made sense, and were smooth. The concept was a little corny, but pro wrestling is a little corny too, so it fit. Only having 4 characters seemed a little weak but maybe you could unlock more as you played the game? I didn't really play for very long as I was getting ready to go out of town for the weekend but what little I played (2 matches) was enough to have some fun. I imagine multiplayer would be pretty good too, and I like that it was an option.

Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment