Saturday, April 12, 2014

#96: James Bond Jr.

Nice colour scheme!
So... Is James Bond Jr actually a thing? I have to admit to never having seen a full James Bond movie and really the only way I've ever interacted with the franchise at all is Golden Eye 64 on the N64. There was no James Bond Jr in that game!

Got my shoe powerup, now I can jump high!
The game started off with some pretty cool music. Very different from anything else I've ever heard from the SNES. I liked it. There was a bunch of cutscenes explaining the story which is nice. Bad guy steal shiny thing. Bad guy use shiny thing to do evil. James Bond Jr get shiny thing back from bad guy. Then I got dumped into what seemed to be a mediocre platformer. My jump and attack buttons weren't beside each other on the controller (B and X) which was super awkward.

PEW PEW!
The platformer didn't last long. I think I fought two enemies before I got whisked into a helicopter where I got to play a mediocre scrolling shooter. A hard scrolling shooter. It kept making me fly through little tiny corridors (by blocking most of the screen with gigantic trees) and then it would shoot fireballs through the corridor such that I couldn't find a way to avoid taking damage. One hit kills you if you don't have the shield power up. I died five times before making it to the end of the stage so I don't know if there was going to be a boss, or if I was going to get to platform again, or what.

The platforming seemed bad but I wanted to give it a chance on a real level. The shooter was bad, and I got game overed so I never got to find out what the split between the two genres was going to be. And I still don't know if James Bond Jr is a real thing. (Wikipedia tells me yes, as a bad American spin-off. James Bond Jr is James Bond's nephew.)

Anyway, the music was awesome but everything else seemed pretty bad to mediocre.

Rating: D

No comments:

Post a Comment