Saturday, August 24, 2013

#63: Super Soccer Champ

Taito strikes again!
Hot on the heels of last month's Super Soccer, today we have Super Soccer Champ. I'm wondering if Taito was making a Super Soccer of their own but when they asked Nintendo for cartridges they were told to stuff it since Nintendo was making their own Super Soccer. Was Super Soccer rushed in order to hit the shelves before Super Soccer Champ? And why does it seem to be so hard to make a fun soccer game?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I went into the option menu and one of the options was for the game to explain what all the buttons did! YES! Taito, you rock! Now can you explain to me why the Y and B buttons were overloaded to have 6 or 7 functions each while X, A, L, and R all had no game effect? Taito, you suck!
OOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLL!
Super Soccer didn't give me power ratings for any of the teams, but I went with what I assumed was going to be a pretty good team: Brazil. It turned out Brazil was overpowered. They had one guy who was way faster than anyone else I played against. So I tried to pass it back to my right defender and then he just ran circles around the other team. I would run near an enemy in order to get him to follow me, and could end up kiting multiple players in a circle. Then I just had to run across the goal crease until the goalie was no longer in a position to stop my shot and score. I could only shoot every 45 degrees, so I actually don't know how I would possibly score without these cheating trick unless maybe the goalie can just miss a shot straight at him.

I've played two other soccer games recently and they both earned a D- rating. This game was slightly more fun than those were, because I was able to score and win. Instead of losing 40-0 I would win 5-0. Neither makes for a good game, but one was slightly more fun.

Rating: D

No comments:

Post a Comment