Saturday, July 27, 2013

#59: Super Soccer

Soccer sure is super!
Super Soccer is pretty much exactly what it claims to be. It's a soccer game for the Super Nintendo. It has 16 teams, a tournament mode, and 8 different formations. It has teams with stereotypically correct names. Maybe even the actual names from international soccer around that time? I don't know.

You can do it, Franz!
What the game doesn't seem to have is penalties of any kind. It also has both slide tackles and shoulder checks, so it's very hard to actually go anywhere with the ball. The big problem for me is the buttons changed functionality based on the location of the ball. So I'd hit the shoulder check button, but the ball would be in the air so instead I would anemically kick at the ball. The computer never suffered from this problem since it knew when the buttons would do the right things. As such I couldn't ever make progress against the computer except by slowing headering the ball down the field (when the ball is always in the air the computer could never throw a shoulder check) and the computer could easily make progress against me.

PS: Buy SimCity!
The game ended 19-0. Most of the game was spent the same way... I'd kick the ball to my teammate in the circle, he would immediately get hit and lose the ball. The computer would pass it to a teammate who would shoot on net and probably score. I ended up getting one shot on net the entire game. The computer stopped it.

This is yet another game where I feel like the controls are bad enough that the AI has a stupid advantage over a human. Maybe this would be a good game to play with another human, but as a single player game it stinks.

Rating: D-

No comments:

Post a Comment