Saturday, March 2, 2013

#38: Super Smash TV

Smash and Cash!
I remember renting Super Smash TV as a kid and being frustrated by it. Other people loved it, I know, but I never could get into it. I'm not sure why. Is it the theme? I'm not a big fan of gunning down huge swaths of people, but I don't think it would be much better if they were robots or zombies. I love killing huge hordes of zombies (Dead Rising is such an awesome game) but I like there to be a little more strategy and variety to it beyond aim your auto-fire gun in a direction and mow them down.


For the record, the game shows that debuted on television in 1999 include Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and Greed. Both of which heavily featured cash grabs, but neither of which included sending a swarm of humans with clubs after a guy with an infinite ammo machine gun. The intro sounds more like The Running Man than actual 1999 reality. Hmm... I think I'll go watch The Running Man again.

The game actually featured voice acting, which was pretty surprising. It was just this puffed up host yelling at me, but it was way more than I expected from the SNES. The game played pretty smoothly. It's pretty much a remake of Robotron 2084 except with a worse theme. It made use of all 4 buttons on the face of the controller which is a pleasant surprise. The 4 buttons were used to simulate a second joystick so you could walk your guy in one direction and shoot your machine gun in the other.

Maybe I'm just not very good at this genre of game. I donno. It just seems overly hard and not terribly interesting. That said, it does actually seem like a real game. If you like this sort of game then I can imagine you'd like Super Smash TV, even today.

Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment