Saturday, November 24, 2012

#24: Super Tennis

SUPER TENNIS!
There are some sports that make for good video games right out of the box. There are other sports that just don't have anything special going on in them. Tennis is a great game to actually play in person. It provides great exercise and if you're good at it there's all kinds of neat things you can make the ball do. In a video game, not so much. Either a shot is really good and should be used to win most points or it's really bad and shouldn't be used at all.
20 playable characters!
I started up a circuit event instead of just playing a single match. I had to pick a character and chose to go with Yuka. It turns out they all have different stats and Yuka is actually quite bad. Very slow but doesn't hit hard enough to make up for it. Oh well.

RATS!
I got blown out. My first match was on clay. My opponent was able to hit the ball slow enough that it wouldn't even bounce to me at the back line. But if I moved in, she would hit it very hard and I wouldn't be able to reach it in time. Turns out being very slow is very bad.

Oh my!
I spent most of my first match trying to figure out the controls. Not so much so I could hit the ball better, but because some of the time I could reveal my panties and I wanted to take a screenshot of it. Because that's actually what watching tennis on tv means to me. I am such a sad person.

At any rate, the game wasn't terribly fun or interesting. My best plan for winning seemed to be to just make contact and assume the opponent would eventually miss an easy shot before I did.

I remember playing this as a kid, because I remember changing the colour of the tennis ball in the pause menu. But I don't remember playing it much or having fun with it. Probably because I didn't. But if I actually wanted to play a decent tennis game, I guess this would be it.

Rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment