Saturday, September 8, 2012

#13: Super R-Type

Irem? Never heard of them!
This is a pretty typical scrolling space shooter. It has power-ups to collect. It has bullets to dodge. One hit kills you and forces you to replay entire levels to get back to the boss. It has inexplicable sections of lag because they're overworking the poor SNES. It isn't much fun. I played on normal and couldn't even beat the first level. I'm sure the boss has a pattern you can learn (he moves much faster than you so adapting on the fly isn't possible but I'm sure there are safe spots to stand the entire fight) but having to play perfectly for 5 minutes without power-ups in order to get another try isn't my idea of a good time.

Auto-attack for wave of death to entire screen?
I played again on novice difficulty and there were power-ups everywhere! This one basically made all enemies on the screen die every second as long as they were in a 180 degree arc in front of me. It made the game pretty trivial. I killed the second boss and then decided it wasn't any fun and turned it off.

I don't think I played this game as a kid. I don't think I would have liked it much if I had. I can't give it a complete failing grade because it does actually seem like a complete game that shooter fans might like. Me? I hated it.

Rating: D-

No comments:

Post a Comment