Saturday, August 4, 2012

#8: Final Fight

Street Fighter '89!
Final Fight was originally a very well received arcade game (it won best arcade game of the year in 1990) that Capcom ported to all sorts of systems. The SNES port removed multi-player and one of the playable characters, leaving you with two options:

Short skinny dude or fatman?
Haggar is the newly elected mayor who wants to clean up the mean streets. The Mad Gear Gang has other ideas and kidnaps his daughter in an attempt to blackmail him. Unfortunately for them he's a former street fighter champion and looks like he's still in fighting shape. Rob Ford he aint. So with a mission of recovering your daughter you set out...

Flying piledriver!
As far as beat-em-ups go this one is pretty straightforward. Walk to the right and punch everything that spawns. You get a few different grapple moves, a jump kick, and a punch. You can't move or turn while attacking or jumping. You walk pretty slowly. The enemies are brutal. You know, standard fare.

Andore The Giant?
I made it through the first stage with only a couple deaths. The second stage was rougher as I had to fight multiple Andores and they have a lot of health. I made it to the boss with no extra lives...

He brought swords to a fist fight... 8(
The boss was named Katana, and he had two katanas. One swing from a katana took off about 80% of my health. I died before I knew what happened. I had three continues so I used one and chose Cody. I was forced to start at the start of the level and Cody didn't even make it to the boss. He's faster which seems great but since you can't move while attacking was pretty much negated. I could run into Andore's attack range faster but he'd just kill me. I gave it one more try with Haggar, made it to the boss, and exploded. I knocked him down a few times but he'd charge back at me when he stood up and I couldn't find a way to avoid the attack. It hit for 40% of my health. I don't think I could kill him with max lives with those sorts of damage trades! There must be a trick of some sort but I didn't want to keep playing that level over and over. You win, Mad Gear Gang. You win.

Rating: D

No comments:

Post a Comment